Friday, May 9, 2008

My Heart Breaks ...


AP: Myanmar

In a drastic move, the United Nations stops sending cyclone aid to Myanmar, saying the country's military government has seized aid intended for the victims. More than 1 million people were left homeless by the storm, which also killed at least 23,000 people. Some officials fear that death toll will top 100,000 as entire villages were wiped out.



After reading this, I am left sitting here in utter shock and disbelief. I absolutely, positively CAN NOT wrap my mind around this. There are people suffering horribly over there, probably in ways that we can not even imagine. There are bodies floating around in the water. There are kids alone everywhere walking around starving and looking for their parents. There are sick and severely injured people everywhere. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are now homeless have nothing. The water is contaminated. The list goes on and on..... And now we hear that this country's government is taking the food, medicine, clothes, cleans water and othe supplies/aid that other countries are sending to aid these poor, suffering, and devestated people????????????????

I wish I could say that I am well versed on this country and it's "government," but unfortunately I am not. What I DO KNOW with every fiber of my being is that the people of that country are God's people, just like we are. HE loves them. He loves each and every one of them and I can only imagine how this is breaking His heart. My heart breaks with His.

Because of this corrupt, evil, "government" these innocent people will continue to suffer unnecessarily. Can you imagine watching your child starve? Or watch your child slowly die because of the injuries or illness brought on by that storm... knowing that they could have been helped? Or can you imagine being one of those lost children walking around ALONE in the debris looking for a parent, relative or friend?

My heart is aching for these people as I read more about the situation. My heart is breaking for them. Please pray that these people are released from their suffering. Pray that the hand of God comforts them, and heals them. And, pray that that somehow the hearts of the people in the government over there are opened to the plight and suffering of their own people... and that they allow ALL of the aid to reach the people who so desperately need it. And, please pray that the aid continues to be sent over there, and that the countries who are sending the aid are not deterred by the actions of the government of Myanmar.

Remember, there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING that is too big, or too hard for our God to do.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Hey! Such a horrible situation over there. I was watching a news channel this morning and they showed videos of unlivable conditions over there. I don't know if it is a lack of education or desperation but the "clean up" people are disposing of bodies into the water, which just makes the disaster worse because it contaminates the water supply and will be a breeding ground for deadly infections for the people trying to survive. I pray the "junta" of that country will let in teams of trained people to help them. Timmy posted a blog about similar feelings yesterday. Check it out...and keep praying for those poor innocent people over there. I think that is the ONLY thing that is going to help them right now.
(I can't help but think how grateful they would be for a FEMA trailer at this point.)
Love,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Lauren, I had the same thought about the FEMA trailers. I also thought about how, rightfully, we were so upset about the lack of response to Katrina. But the response in our country is like a resort vacation compared to those poor people.
I don't know a lot about that country either. I had never heard of it, then found out it it what used to be Burma. Theirs is a military government, and that government wants to strictly control the image the outside world has of them. I saw a story on the news channel about an English reporter that snuck in the country, and all he went through trying to escape after they found out he was there. It was like something out of a movie;horrible stuff. That government is afraid that relief workers will see the deplorable conditions the people live in...even before the storm. The aid that is getting in is being conviscated, as you said Lesely. Now the government there is telling people to give aid in the form of money, and they will take care of their people. Yea, right. All we can do is pray for them, and pray that trained disaster relief people will be allowed in before it's too late for all of them.
Now there has been the horrible earthquake in China, which has pushed the Mayanmar story out of the headlines. As this is a Communist country, I don't know what to expect for those poor people either. Imagine, 900 kids killed in one school that collapsed. Thousands more killed and buried.
This really makes me wonder if we are nearing the end times. I know that people have been saying that for hundreds of years, and we have no way of knowing. But we much pray and be prepared.
I love you girls, and the boys you gave me..and are about to give me.
Mom aka Mimi

HerstoryGirl said...

This makes me so sick... but, unfortunately, it's nothing new.

MANY countries in Africa have been dealing with this kind of abuse for decades.
Remember the "Hands Across America" and "USA for Africa" fundraisers in the 80's?

It's my understanding that almost ALL of that aid was confiscated by corrupt governments and juntas who used it for their own personal gain. Almost none of it reached the intended people who so badly need it.
=(
Very sad, indeed.

HerstoryGirl said...

My comment above makes it sound like Myanmar is in Africa; that's not what I meant.
I just mean that this kind of abuse is prevalent ALL OVER the world.
Asia is notoriously bad as well for this sort of thing.