Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Chapman Family


As some of you know, back on May 21st tragedy struck the family of Christian musician, Steven Curtis Chapman. Maria Chapman, the youngest of their 6 children was killed in a horrible automobile accident. She was a tender 5 years old. What a beautiful little girl and she was such a light in this wonderful family...

Tonight on CNN's Larry King Show... Steven, MaryBeth and their three oldest children (William Franklin, Caleb, and Emily) appreared on the hour long show. They were asked some really tough, heart-wrenching questions during the show. I sat in utter amazement watching the interview unfold. The complete love, honesty, courage, strength and faith of the entire family was amazing to see and hear. There was also intense pain, but the overwhelming feeling you got from watching them was their faith in our Lord and love for each other. Do they understand why this happened to them? Of course not. But they do know that God has been there with them the entire time and that He has held them through every step of this tragedy. And, the three oldest children are wise beyond their years.

It would have been so easy, and completely understandable, for them to hide away from the rest of the world and not speak publicly about what happened to their family. But, they truly feel like that is not what God wanted for their family...they feel like this tragedy is a way to bring more people closer to God. If they pulled the covers over their heads and never spoke about it, we would never have witnessed such faith in the middle of such a deep, dark valley in all of their lives. In the midst of their grief, they are all still holding on strong to the love of God and to their faith in Him.

I pray that if, God forbid, I ever am in such a horrible, devestating valley, I am able to be half as courageous and faithful as they have been. Thank you Chapman family for sharing yourselves with us. You and your story are completely humbling and inspiring. This family and this tragedy have made a huge impact on me and have touched my heart deeply. They will remain in my prayers for a long, long time...

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I wish I had seen that! I have followed this story and can't imagine what the family is going through, but their faith is amazing. We don't really know what God's plan is for our lives, and I agree, I hope I would be like them if I found myself in this situation.

Happy first day of school!! Let me know how it goes!

Tam said...

The only thing I can say is that YES they have amazing FAITH. It is so amazing.

ISABELLA'S PAGE said...

It truly is inspirational to see that it's not their own strength but the strength of God to get them through this horrible chapter in their lives. It's really hard for me to listen to , "Cinderella", and the words he sings in that song for his little girls.
While we'll never know the Why, we can be confident that God turns all things for good.
I agree, there will be amazing blessing to come out of this situation.
I wish I had know that was on.

Michelle said...

I recorded this on DVR last night to be able to watch it this weekend. I saw just a split second of the interview last night and her picture was being shown. What a precious little girl and such a tragedy. My heart sunk when I heard about this.

HerstoryGirl said...

I cried when I first heard about this tragedy -- not only for their loss, but for the boy who was driving. He will have to live with this for his whole life. Thank God we have a God whose grace and forgiveness surpass all understanding!

The Maggio Family said...

It is really hard to imagine such tragedy, isn't it?