Monday, September 8, 2008

Pictures from Hurricane Gustav

Mike and my brother in law adding a new accessory to our house... a tarp!!! We had some pretty bad roof damage. The insurance accessor came out yesterday and said we will need a whole new roof. Just great.


This is a huge tree that USED to be at the end of my sister's street. Thank God it fell backwards and not frontwards onto the house at the end of the street. Although, that white SUV was in it's path and got crushed. My sister and her family moved to a new house two days before Gustav made landfall.

This is the one that really breaks my heart. That house belongs to some friends of ours. A gigantic tree fell through their house and basically cut it in half. This is about 2 miles from our house. Our friends had a lot of their family from Houma staying with them at the time. A couple of them were injured, but their injuries will heal. Unfortunately, our friends lost EVERYTHING. They worked hard their whole lives and now all that they worked so hard for is gome. My heart breaks for them. Please keep them in your prayers. Thank God they are alive.
This is a convenient store close to our house. The huge covering from the gas pumps was literally blown off in one whole piece. Just look what 90 mile an hour wind can do. We had gusts way higher than that though. Scary!!
After 4 days of no electricity and heat that was almost unbearable, we heard that a Smoothie King nearby had somehow opened for business. I think they were operating off of a massive generator. Of course, we loaded up in the car and headed over there immediately! I swear, this was without a doubt the BEST smoothie I have ever had in my life. Ice cold and so refreshing! THANK YOU SMOOTHIE KING for a brief reprieve from the parched feeling :-)

Now, on a more serious note.... thank you to everyone for your prayers. They helped more than you know. We are still in the recovery phase and so many people are STILL without power, even today, a week after the storm made landfall. The people of this area are amazing... their sheer determination and concern for others is amazing to see.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your friends and others in your area who lost everything. I just can't imagine what that must feel like.

So glad you guys are okay.

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

Sorry..I wanted to edit but I ended up deleting. I am so glad all of you are safe. Your friends will be in my prayers. We lost almost everything in a flood when I was in high School. Thankfully we were able to replace everything and we saved a lot of stuff that was very special to us but I know how horrible that feeling is. They are definitely in my prayers.

Dawn said...

Those pictures are so scary, but also what you see everywhere lately. I am sorry about your neighbors losing all of their things. Thank God they are ok though!

ISABELLA'S PAGE said...

My heart goes out to ya'll and your neighbors for enduring this hurricane. Media made it out not to be as bad, (I guess in comparison to Kartrina) however, seeing your pics paints a different picture.
What makes me so mad, to the point of popping a blood vessel, is that people like John Hagee and these other radical churches getting on the news saying that God is punishing South Lousiana. I honestly have never heard such an ignorant comment in my whole life much less in the name of God. That is just pure evil.
Ok, happy thoughts again, you and yours are in my prayer and I hope it's a quick fix on the roof.

Michelle said...

I just saw these pictures. Didn't scroll down far enough when I was reading your blog last night. I'm sorry your friends lost everything, but thank God they are okay. I'm also sorry you and Mike have to go through getting a new roof. I hope your sister's house is okay?

Yay for Smoothie King. It's those little things like that that make us feel better at the time. Saying prayers daily for all of you.