Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Back to School Post Gustav... and... IKE

Well, today most of the kids in our parish are heading back to school. Lane wasn't excited, lol! It will be their first day at school since Hurricane Gustav blew through our state, leaving a path of destruction behind it.

I'm not sure if things at school will be normal for the kids today or not. Based on our school board's website, I have a couple of concerns. Nothing major, but for example, it seems that lunches provided by the school system (that we PAY for) in the cafeteria will be a bit strange for a while. From the website, "There will be no breakfast available all week and meals ready to eat and water have been ordered for lunch. Parents of students on any type of special diet (i.e. diabetic, milk allergy, nut allergy, etc.) are asked to send lunch with your student to school until further notice." I called school yesterday to try to find out what exactly was meant by 'meals ready to eat' meant. I am wondering if they are referring to the MRE's that are being distributed by that National Guard. I truly believe that our school system is doing the best it can right now. But, is it just me, or does that seem like an odd thing to feed school children for lunch?? However, given all we have had to deal with this past week, that is minor. Guess it's just another part of the adventure that we have been on for over a week now :-)

Anyway, the person that I talked to at school wasn't sure either...so to be on the safe side, I sent Lane's lunch with him to school today until we can find out what is going on. He was happy about that! He brought a ham sandwich, cool ranch doritos, peanut butter cookies and a gatorade... Lane is a happy boy :-)



By the grace of God, it appears that Louisiana is being spared from Hurricane Ike. We've been watching it for days now, and according to all of the information I can find, it seems that Ike will be heading to either Texas or Northern Mexico. It was hard to know what to pray for regarding Ike. Given the destruction and suffering we have endured here in Louisiana, I wanted to pray that Ike didn't come here. At the same time though, it wasn't fair of me to pray for it to go somewhere else causing pain and suffering for people elsewhere. What I came up with was this: pray for it to dissipate and just go away all together. Crazy sounding, I know. But, I truly believe that there is nothing to big for God to handle :-) Now, my prayers are for the people of where ever this storm goes. Still keeping an eye on it though, just in case ;-)

Anyway, it looks like Louisiana dodged the bullet (Ike) this time. These are stressful months for people who live in the southern parts of southern states or right on the coastlines. This year's hurricane season can not end soon enough!!!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Yes, sista, they are serving MRE's but it really turned out to be ok! The cafeteria workers heated them up so it wasn't a big deal. Someone told me "our military personnel can eat those, so they are certainly good enough for our kids," so I realized they were right. I think the kids actually had fun with them. At the schools I saw, it was an otherwise normal day. Hopefully, things will get back to normal soon with the breakfast/lunch. Some kids don't get breakfast at home!

And BYE BYE IKE!!!

Michelle said...

I too prayed for it to just disapate. You're right, we don't want it in our state, but it's not fair another state would have to deal with it as well.

I hope this week will be much better for you and your family. I know it has been very stressful for everyone.

When Dawn showed those pictures of the MRE's on her blog a few days ago, I thought that was kind of neat. I'm sure the kids enjoyed them simply because it's not something they typically get. Sort of a treat for them. Hopefully the lunches and breakfast will be back to normal soon. Claudia doesn't eat breakfast because she eats lunch like at 10:45 at school.

I'm proud of you and everyone else for hanging in there like you have and stayed strong with your faith during this very trying time.