Thursday, June 19, 2008

Root Canal...


A few weeks ago, Lane started complaining of a tooth ache. So, we made him an appointment with his dentist to get it checked out. Now, keep in mind he is only NINE years old. Off to the dentist we go... only to find out that he has an absessed tooth!!! And, not just any tooth either... as luck would have it, it was in a permanent tooth!! He had to take a round of strong antibiotics for 10 days and then his dentist referred us to an Endodontist.

Of course, the endodontist said that poor Lane would have to have a root canal done. Can you believe it?!?!?!! I couldn't. So, yesterday was the big day. The endodontist had prescribed some medicine for Lane to take an hour before the procedure and he had to take it on an empty stomach. The medicine was necessary to help keep Lane from being so nervous and to help keep him calm. Well, let me tell you... it worked.

If you know my Lane... you will know that he is a 100% wide open little boy. He IS the definition of "perpetual motion." He is always busy doing something and will play outside nonstop until we make him come in at dark. He makes me tired just watching him. So, to see him completely chilled out, quiet and still about 30 minutes after taking this medicine was a bit unsettling for me. Although, I must admit, it was a teeny bit amusing at the same time.

We get to the endodontist office right on time and they call him to the back. He was calm, cool, and collected. The procedure took a total of about 2 hours.. and Lane was amazing!!! They sprayed him with some numbing medicine first and then put a numbing gel on his tooth. Once he was numb, they gave him several shots to numb the entire area they were going to work on. He is such a little man! Lane laid there perfectly, never moved, never whined, never grunted, never said ouch, never cried or complained... not even once. I told him later that he handled the root canal process wayyyy better than most adults I know.

The endodontist told us that he would be pretty sore for a few days and to give him children's advil for the pain. Crazy thing is... he hasn't needed it. I keep asking him if his mouth or tooth is hurting at all... he repeatedly tells me NO! In fact, his best friend's birthday was yesterday and we went over there for dinner and cake. They live right next door to us. So, anyway, next thing I know... Lane is in the pool swimming!!!!!!! Needless to say, I almost fainted. Then they asked if Lane could spend the night... and he did!!

Poor kid, he must be sick of me asking him if his tooth hurts. Cause he walked though the door this morning and before he could shut the door, I was asking him, "How is your tooth?? Does it hurt" Lane said, "No ma'am... it doesn't hurt at all." And I was like, "It's not even a little bit sore?? Not even a little??" Lane's response, "Nope, not even a little. And Mom, why do you keep asking me that??" I was like, "Cause it is supposed to be hurting you!!" LOL

Of course I had been doing some serious praying for days that God would be with Lane and carry him through this without any pain or anxiety. God answered my prayers. I'm telling you, God is faithful.

5 comments:

Spencer said...

I can't believe Lane did so well on that.That's awesome that it doesn't hurt him at all. Leave it to Lane to be tough!

Dawn said...

See! I told you that he wouldn't feel a thing! And i'm so glad that he didn't!! Yay for Lane!

HerstoryGirl said...

Well, I was going to say, "Poor Lane!" but it sounds like it's not warranted... still, I have had the exact same thing and I suffered with mine for a couple of days!
OUCH!
So glad he's doing so well!

Michelle said...

I must say Im very impressed with Lane and how well he did getting that root canal done. I know had that been Claudia, she would have kicked, screamed and anything else LOL I don't know of two many adults that get through them like he did. You definitely get your prayers answered girl!

Anonymous said...

My Lane never ceases to amaze me. ;-) When I asked him how his tooth felt, he said..."WHY does everyone keep asking me that? It's fixed and feels fine!"
I know he was a bit nervous before he took the medicine. Maybe I need some of that medicine...lol
What's that on his face in the pic?
Much love, Mom aka Mimi